Monday, January 19, 2009

Punchline

If you read this blog you know that Jake is my melodramatic child. The wrong ratio of chocolate syrup to milk causes as much anxiety as a trip to the doctor. Today wasn't any different.

We were running errands, and Jake and Abby were watching a DVD in the car. We'd started at the beginning so I had the pleasure of sitting through the multitude of "coming soon to a theater near you" and "coming soon on DVD" trailers one more time. For whatever reason, one particular trailer bugs me. It's for an old movie called Home On the Range. Maybe it's the voice of Roseanne as one of the cow heroines. Maybe it's the KD Lang soundtrack ("I know a place ... pretty as pie!!!!"). So today I chose to skip it. And, of course, Jake objected. He objected like he was being injected head to toe with jitterbugs, like someone was holding him down and dumping broccoli in his mouth.

When I was able to get the DVD back to the Home On the Range trailer, I asked him to apologize.

"Jakey, you can get just about anything if you ask nicely. I think you should tell me you're sorry and that you overreacted."

"I can't say that word, overlyacted."

"OK. How about you just say "I'm sorry" like you mean it."

"I'M SORRY LIKE I MEAN IT!!!!"