Thursday, January 29, 2009

Puppy Love

So I have very few complaints about the dog. The main one is all the hair. But the Swiffer Wet has become my friend so the hair is less of an issue. Since Bryon broke his ankle a couple of weeks ago, the pooper scooper duty has also fallen to me, and this is a big complaint. With all the rain and cold weather we've had, I haven't been vigilant about the scooping and today when I went to the backyard to retrieve one of the dog's toys (just like the kids, he leaves his toys in the backyard) I realized it looked like cows have been grazing back there.

I also REALLY miss my cats. They come around throughout the day for food but they will not come in the house and I think they are beginning to associate any interaction with me as a possible interaction with the dog.

Most of the time the dog lays on one of two dog beds. He doesn't bark or jump or nip at the kids. He sleeps all night and waits until 6 before sticking his cold nose in my still sleeping face to indicate he really needs to go outside. But I don't think we spend enough time with the dog. He's always giving me this sad sack look like "When are you going to slow down and rub my ears?"

I think Sam has picked up on this too. Today while we were sitting at the breakfast table, Sam said, "During the day, when you're sitting around like you do, you should really pat the dog every once in awhile. I think I would get lonely if I sat on the ottoman all day and no one played with me."

Although I don't know when he thinks I 'sit around,' I was starting to agree with him until he said, "Just imagine if you got to sit in the living room by yourself all day."

Oh but I do imagine that.