Saturday, January 31, 2009

Early To Bed

When Sam was a baby, he would often wake up at 4 a.m. and we would spend the early morning watching the MacNeil/Lehrer report and Teletubbies until he fell back asleep somewhere around 6:30, just in time for me to get in the shower and 'start' my day.

We never really had that problem with Jake or Abby. Sure they had their share of sleep problems during the night but neither of them are what you'd call early risers. Neither of them go to bed early either. It's not unusual for them both to be awake at 9:30 and then still be in bed at 7:30 a.m. (Perhaps there's a connection? You think?)

Everything changes if it's Saturday. Last night, for example, they were both still awake at 9:30. We were all watching Star Wars in the big bed because the downstairs TV is on the fritz and Bryon and Sam are at a camp out this weekend. Abby finally fell asleep close at 10 and Jake shortly after. (When I moved him to his bed and tucked him in he smiled in his sleep. That's my boy.) Since it was only 10 I finished some work that kept me up much later than I'd planned, close to midnight. But surely, surely, they would both sleep a little later.

The first thing I remember was the overhead light coming on and Jake shoving an animal alphabet puzzle box in my face. "What's that one called? That one, Q?"

"You mean quail?"

"Yes, quailed."

This stirred the dog, who licked Abby in the face who immediately sat up and ... well, good morning Saturday.

I rubbed my eyes and said out loud to no one, "You are going to be one tired girl today."

I was actually talking about Abby, but Jake responded, "Abby too?"