Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Looking Up

Occasionally there are signs that Jake is growing out of his temper tantrums. Don't get me wrong, he still has his wobblers - I think he will always be quick to anger - but as he gets older he is more able to recognize a meltdown before it reaches the point of no return.

Like this morning. He was lolly gagging through breakfast so after his plate of pancakes sat untouched for 30 minutes I rinsed it off and put it in the dishwasher. When he noticed the plate was gone, he started to lose it.

"But I wasn't finished. There were pancakes left!" he whined.

"Actually, Jakey, there weren't any pancakes, just syrup. Maybe the dog ate the last ones. You didn't really want anymore anyway, did you?"

He thought for a minute. Then he closed his agape mouth, turned around and went back to his Clone Wars toys.

Several minutes later he was standing on the dining room chair so I could help him with his clothes. We were face to face. He put his hands on my shoulders, looked me straight in the eye and said, "I know you're lyin' about the pancakes."