Sunday, February 08, 2009

What A Lovely Singing Voice You Must Have

Every Sunday from 4-5 I take Sam to church for choir practice. His choir is made up of about 25 kindergartners and first graders, and even though they only sing a few times during the year, they practice every Sunday. I signed up to be a choir mom, which simply means I sit there during choir and take kids to and from the bathroom so the choir teacher doesn't have to. But it has become one of my favorite parts of the week. For one, it gives me some alone time with Sam. But it is entertaining to watch the kids practice and learn.

Each week they practice a little for an upcoming performance but they also do a lot of singing games and inevitably I end up humming these tunes throughout the week. Today they sang a little tune "Messenger, messenger, do you have a letter? Messenger, messenger, do you have a letter? I can hardly wait to see what is in the mail for me?"

On the way home Sam mentioned he was a little sick to his stomach. I thought he was probably hungry and tired, although he did look quite puny.

"Are you going to throw up?" I asked.

"I don't think so."

I went back to singing ... "Messenger, messenger, do you have a letter?"

"But I might if you don't quit singing."