Thursday, February 05, 2009

The Answer Is Yes

Years ago I read some advice from a mom who found the best time to get her son to talk about his day was right before bedtime. He was sleepy, less guarded, less distracted, and she found he was often open and honest.

Our bedtimes are usually too hectic for heart to hearts but I did find myself in a similar situation yesterday.

It was a beautiful, unseasonably warm day so I decided to walk Tag to Sam's school to pick him up.

Sam was a little dismayed when he saw us. He was tired, his feet hurt and he was thirsty - not good when facing a 20-minute walk home.

So I proposed that we walk slow, enjoy the sun and the fresh air and the exercise. About 10 minutes from home, when we had all slowed considerably, Sam said, "When I'm 10 or 13, I have a question I'm going to ask you."

I was curious and a little anxious.

"Well, how about you ask me now. It sounds like a big question. I might need some time to think of an answer."

"Do you think I will be a good man when I grow up?"

I stopped to hug him. "Yes. I think you will be a good man."

"'Cause I just want to be a good man and a regular guy."

I don't know what prompted the question. He implied he'd had some nightmares lately. But I've also noticed he has become a lot more observant and aware and perceptive. I think he is more cognizant of the ups and downs of the Romine family than one might think. And not that he needs to be sheltered from those ups and downs - that's reality - but I do need to consider all that sweet little head grapples with each day. It's not all Star Wars and Oreo Cakesters.